Thursday, October 11, 2012

{Swapper Spotlight} - Stefanie Modri

I'm starting a new regular post called Swapper Spotlight.  After each swap I'll choose someone to feature so we can all learn a little more about each other.  Our first Swapper Spotlight is with Stefanie Hawk Modri.  Stefanie came to her first swap with a variety of goodies and even brought three other swappers with her!


Stefanie and her husband Ryan with Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms

You just attended your first swap. What’d you think?
I loved it! It felt like a Pinterest Party, which I just made up. Seriously, it's everything you can learn to do or make from Pinterest. There are lots of good things about the swap--there is no money exchanged, it feels like everything you come home with is bonus, you are surrounded by others who appreciate handmade and homemade items and there was no limit on what I could show up with to the swap. Well, maybe not my old bike. Overall, it was very stress-free and fun--both the prep and being there.


Stefanie's take-home loot

How did you hear about us? I read about it in one of my favorite magazines, Edible Jersey.

Do you have any swapping specialties we can look forward to?
I can make yogurt from soy milk or cow's milk so I'm thinking about making some next time in beautiful large Ball jars. I may make the soaps with loofah again, too. I can also make homemade German noodles called spaetzle. I can come with several bags of frozen spaetzle but swappers would need to come with a cooler because you don't want them to thaw before you are really ready to cook them.

Why do you love swapping?
Well, I started swapping last summer when I grew 100 lbs of butternut squash by accident. Really. I ended up trading them for eggs, peaches, vegetables and even some house cleaning services. It was one of the most fun things I had ever done and it made my summer really fun, too. I felt like the squash was my "cash crop" and I could trade it like cash. Plus, it seemed like everyone showed up with their best to offer at the swap and I liked that.

Stefanie's garden

Do you have any advice for first-time swappers?
I would recommend making something that can last in the fridge for at least 1-2 weeks or can go in the freezer. While I came home with delicious cookies and breads, I like to spread my enjoyment of my loot over a week or more. The maple pecan butter, roasted red pepper and eggplant dip and the strawberry applesauce felt very special. Bring something that is unique and made with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment